Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default School Cafeteria Recipes - Comfort or Discomfort Food?

Rusty wrote:
> Here is a list of some of the recipes:
>
> Apple Cobbler
> Apple Crisp
> Apple-Honey Crisp
> Applesauce Cake
> Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
> Baked Beans (Using Canned Vegetarian Beans)
> Baked Cajun Fish
> Baked Fish Scandia
>
> Baked French Toast Strips
> Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
> Baking Powder Biscuits
> Banana Bread Squares
> Barbecued Beef or Pork on Roll (Using Canned Meats)
> Barbecued Chicken
> Barbeque Sauce
> Bean Burrito
> Bean Soup
> Bean Taco
> Beef and Bean Tamale Pie
> Beef or Pork Burrito
> Beef or Pork Burrito (Using Canned Meats)
> Beef or Pork Taco
> Beef or Pork Taco (Using Canned Meats)
> Beef Shepherds Pie
> Beef Stew
> Beef Stir-Fry
> Beef Taco Pie
> Beef Tamale Pie
> Beef Vegetable Soup
> Bottom Pastry Crust (Sheet Pans)
> Bread Stuffing
> Breakfast Burrito with Salsa
> Broccoli Salad
> Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice Casserole
> Brown Bread
> Brown Gravy
> Brown Rice Pilaf
> etc., etc., etc.
>
> -Rusty

Discomfort, definitely! Boy, I don't know what school(s) those came from,
but back in my day the cafeteria food consisted of some sort of mystery meat
in brown gravy; rice or mashed potatoes, some sort of vegetable (obviously
canned). They had (obviously from frozen) hamburgers and limp crinkle-cut
french fries. I think the "dessert" was Jell-O and/or pudding.

There were no soups or stews; there were no stir-fry type things and I don't
remember any bread other than the buns those frozen burgers came on. Oh,
maybe white bread if you wanted a pimiento-cheese sandwich.

Each day they did have some sort of "special", like tacos, which resembled
tacos made from an Old El Paso dinner kit - pre-made so you didn't get to
choose what toppings you might want (or not want) on them. Or (from frozen)
battered fish fillets accompanied by those limp crinkle-cut fries.

I never ate in the school cafeteria; I brown-bagged it.

Jill