Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lefty[_1_] Lefty[_1_] is offline

Default Different Brand Oatmeal Flakes

> Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
> all-night soak.
> Dee Dee

What I do is add one or two tablespoons of the steel cut (not soaked) to the
flakes and just cook with the flakes for a little chewiness. Occasionally
I'll add a T. or so of a 7 or 9 grain cereal to oats, but I like the oats
taste over-all.

I have tried other ways but if it turns out mushy at all or any malty kind
of flavor it goes into the trash. So I stick to my tried and true timing
with only a dash of extras added if at all.

I like chopped walnuts. I tried toasting them but, again, it makes the oats
taste toasted --not good IMO.