Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.movies.past-films,alt.movies.silent
Frank R.A.J. Maloney Frank R.A.J. Maloney is offline

Default can you really eat shoe?

Forge wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "man for all seasonings" > wrote:
>
>> what did chaplin really eat in 'gold rush'?
>>
>> did wernor herzog really eat a shoe? did he get sick?

> You could theoretically eat shoe leather; you'd have to boil it for
> about 48 hours straight or so.

I'm pretty sure I've read that the Donner party cooked the leather of
snowshoe lacings, shoes, and boots after turning to that other source of
sustinence.

Was there ever a movie made of the Donner party ordeal? I just did a quick
search and a PBS documentary by Ric Burns, _The Donner Party_ (1992). Ric is
Ken Burns's brother; they worked together on _The Civil War_ (1990).
(http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/donner/)

The IMDb also hows TV drama from 1978, _Donner Pass: The Road to Survival_,
which one user in effect called a bad soap opera.

As far I can tell, those are the only film representations of this famous
episode in Western history.

--
Frank in Seattle
____