Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alex Chaihorsky Alex Chaihorsky is offline

Default Does anyone know how to make tea syrup.

Dear Leo -

This group is mainly occupied by passionate tea lovers and what you're
describing may (in this group tradition) ironically epitomise exactly the
opposite - what we would call a tea murder
Even allowing tea to boil in general is considered to be a no-no, boiling
tea down would be like burining a flag or something The only tradition
of boiling tea for a prolonged period of time I know of is an old Russian
prison tradition of making "chifir" - a very concentrated (1 glass of water
per approx 3 ounces of tea) black tea boiled for several minutes into an
almost untolerably bitter drink that brings a special mind-wandering and
hallucinating effect. No sugar is used because sugar is currency in such
places, not a tea sweetener.

However one of the principals of the tea culture is acceptance of any legal
way of enjoying tea, so if you finally find the recipy (why not
experimenting yourself?) please, tell us.

Sasha.

"Leo B" > wrote in message
In the 60's and 70's my Mother and Aunt made tea syrup.They would boil a
pound of tea with sugar or sacrin. Then you could keep it in the Frig in
a jar and make one glass at a time or use it for hot teas also.

Does anyone know exactly how to make it ? If you do please email
me the recipe. Thank you....Leo