Posted to rec.food.preserving
Mark D Mark D is offline

Default Canning peppers in oil

Jer, I assume you were trying to make Giardeneira, correct?

Yes, some do use a vinegar bath first, but for two days ought to make
that a real vinegary mess.

It may have possibly been the Cauliflower that caused the pepper mix to
cloud?

I make Giardeneira when I can get decent peppers (Sport-Green
Cayenne-Finger-Hots), and living here in NM, that is almost never,
believe it or not, unless I grow them myself. All you see here is
Jalapeno, Serrano, and new Mexican Big Jims, and none of these I feel
are suitable.

This is what I use, and do, when I make Giardeneira:
First, if you clean-wash the peppers (Cayenne-Sport-Fingerhot), you must
make sure they are totally dry.
A 1/3-1/2 lb of peppers makes a ton!
3 Stalks of Fresh Celery, washed, and thoroughly dry. One small 7oz jar
of small Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, drained, and dried as much as
possible on a few paper towels (Save the Juice for Dirty Martinis!)
Two heaping Tablespoons of Capers in Brine, and also drained-dried on
Paper Towels.

Chop Peppers into 5/16" slices, discarding the tops-stems, slice celery
into small slices, throw in a large Stainless Steel, or Glass Bowl, add
the Olives whole, add the Capers, and take a large bottle of either
Canola, or Vegetable Oil, and pour over the mixture, making sure that
the mix is totally immersed by the oil.

Store in a cool place, cover with aluminum foil. Every day for a week,
check, and make sure the mix remains submersed in the oil, and push down
any floaters with a spoon.

After one week of sitting, you may take this mixture, spoon into jars,
and make sure you leave a good 1/2" of oil at the top to keep the mix
submersed while stored.

You may then cap the mixture without worry of any explosive mishaps.
Store in a cool cupboard, and within 3-4 weeks, this mixture will be
ready to eat, and the peppers-celery won't be hard as rocks.

Shelf life is easily one year, or more, and the oil will take on an
Olive Oil Flavor. The amount of brine-salt from the Olives-Capers is
enough to flavor the mix, adequately without being horribly vinegary.

Beautiful on Pasta, Sandwiches, etc, and I have never, I repeat NEVER
gotten sick using this recipe. There's no need to boil-vacuum pack,
provided you use the oil bath to preserve this.

No doubt even your recipe would work better without boiling. The
Vinegar Bath, and the immersion in Oil should be enough. Mark