Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Canning peppers in oil

Jer wrote:

> I cut up some sport peppers, celerey,carrots, and califlower then
> pickled them in vinagar for a couple of days. Then drained them and
> put into jars and filled them with veg oil. I let it set to make sure
> all the air bubbles were gone then used the BWB method. When I took
> them out of the boiling water the liquid wea clear. As the jars cooled
> that's when the oil began to cloud up. After a day, still cloudy.

Sounds to me like some of the moisture and or veggie bits in the pickle
combined with the oil. In _Joy of Pickling_, the author has a few recipes
containing oils, one is marinated dried tomatoes, then covered in olive
oil & refrigerated; a cucumber pickle with a layer of oil on top, also
just refrigerated. I've canned pickled mixed peppers many times with a
tablespoon of olive oil on top, and a couple other various relishes with a
little oil in the recipe. I think the pickling first is a good idea, but
dunno if that will completely eliminate the risks.
I think Bob(this one) Pastorio makes flavored oils - whattya think Bob?
You might want to write the USDA's partner, the Univ of Georgia's
National Center for Home Food Preservation: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/ Dr.
Andress has been very helpful in the past.
Let us know what you find out.
Edrena