Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charles Quinn Charles Quinn is offline

Default Storing sour cream upside down prevents spoilage?

Abe > wrote in news:f12p12p3prga7utheql63e7blov78gedgf@
4ax.com:

> Does storing plastic containers with sour cream or cottage cheese
> upside down in the fridge really make it last longer?

From http://ww3.komotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1454284
How to make just about everything in the refrigerator stay fresh longer.
After it is opened just store it upside down. I have tested this with
Milk, Sour Cream, Dip, Applesauce, Jelly, Jam, Pickles, Peppers and more.
If you can't store it upside down “milk for instance” store it on it’s
side just make sure that the liquid covers the cap. When storing anything
upside down try to make sure that the contents sink to the “Top” to
create a “seal”. The reason this works is bacteria needs to “land” on
food and needs air to grow. This method stops both.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved