Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Bad waitress tricks

D.Currie wrote:
> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>
> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
> when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
> break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
> singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
> change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> someone to make change and had them say there was none.
>
> I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
> tip.

Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's always
ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change when
they go out to eat. You got some effin nerve, you self-centered
hooray-for-me ****. You mean you didn't have a couple of singles to
add to that fin... you obnoxious piece of dirt. It's a restaurant, NOT
a bank, you imbecile.

Sheldon