Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Will a mango ripen once cut?

Jen wrote:

> I just cut up a mango that's about a day short of perfectly ripe. Do
> you think it will continue to ripen once it's cut?

No, but you can make a good sambal out of it. In fact, sambals are often
made from fruit which is slightly underripe. This recipe is from _Big
Flavors of the Hot Sun_, and is an excellent accompaniment to grilled fish,
poultry, or pork. It's also good anywhere you'd use salsa or chutney. Since
you only cut up one mango and this recipe calls for two, I guess you can cut
the recipe in half -- or just chop up another mango, because this stuff is
good!

Mango-Chile Sambal (adapted from _Big Flavors of the Hot Sun_)

2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 red onion, diced small
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon lemongrass, tough upper leaves and outer stalk removed and
reserved for another purpose, inner portion of bulb (bottom 1/3 of
stalk) very finely minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh hot red or green chile of your choice
2 mostly-ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, and diced small
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional, but I always use it)
pinch ground nutmeg
salt and black pepper to taste

1. In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot but
not smoking. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is
more or less translucent, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and chile and cook, stirring
occasionally, for one additional minute. Add the mangoes, vinegar,
molasses, and fish sauce and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add
the nutmeg, mix well, and season with salt and pepper.

Serve hot or cold. This sambal will keep, covered and refrigerated, for 5
to 7 days.

Notes:
The amount of time you will have to cook the sambal after adding the mangoes
will depend on how ripe they are. The time given is for mangoes which are
not quite as soft as they could get. If your mangoes are more underripe,
cook them a little longer. Super-soft mangoes will not work well in this
recipe.

Bob