Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri maxine in ri is offline

Default NY Times Article On Dangers Of Sous Vide Cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
> > NEW YORK REGION | March 9, 2006
> > Chefs Looking for Tenderness Meet Tough New York Rules
> > By DANA BOWEN
> > New York City's health department is cracking down on a French cooking
> > method that the city says has not been approved for restaurants.
> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/ny... 070&emc=eta1
>
> Okay, if I'm reading this correctly, Sous Vide basically means they are
> packaging and then cooking the food in sealed "boil'n bags".
>
> I see no reason to think this is upscale or gourmet cooking since the Jolly
> Green Giant has been doing this with frozen food for years As for food
> safety, why wouldn't it be?
>
> Jill

Ah, but the JGG hasn't been cooking the vacuum-packed foods at
temperatures below 140 or whatever. the NYT Magazine had an article a
number of sundays ago about this method, altho IIRC, it was more about
some guy who had an impossibly expensive setup in his kitchen.

Either way, the food is supposed to come out incredibly tender and
flavorful.

maxine in ri