Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Power surge ruined my KitchenAid oven. Should I buy the same again?

On Sun 05 Mar 2006 03:27:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kbarch?

> It's a long and sorry story, but I need to replace a 24" Kichen Aid
> double convection electric wall oven that was less than 3 years old.
>
> In brief, we had a power outage, and then apparently a surge when the
> power went back on. It tripped and broke the dedicated 30 amp circuit
> breaker which was properly sized but old. Electrician hypothesized that
> the power got through the breaker, fried the motherboard of the
> appliance and was kicked back by the surge suppressor of the appliance
> which finished off the breaker. Who knows? We replaced the breaker. We
> also replaced the motherboard which was covered by a 3 year warranty.
> But the oven never worked right. Neither oven heated up right and kept
> cycling on and off erratically making impossible to bake anything that
> had to rise.

<snip>

This is probably not a good comparison, but I had something similar happen
to a large Sony console TV some years ago. The main power box down the
street was hit by lightening, which travelled to many of the houses in the
neighborhood. It blew our answering machines, cordless phones, and some PC
peripherals, though not the PCs. The television would not work at all.

We had it repaired, and were told that the main circuit board had to be
replaced, as well as several smaller boards and heat sinks. It never
worked the same again, one of the symptoms being that after an hour or so,l
it would cycle off. Perhaps a half hour later it would come back on. Most
of the onscreen features no longer worked. The set was repaired a total of
three times with no improvement

After all that, I wish we had replaced it up front.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA