Posted to rec.food.equipment
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:53:14 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
>considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
>http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
>The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
>cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
>about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
>who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
>that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
>bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
>at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
>thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
>issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
>What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
>hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
>likely.
>
>My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
>you had a coil burner range?
>
>Have you ever canned using one?
>
>Anything you hate about it?
>
>The good news is that I'm in no burning hurry for this replacement.
>
>Thanks for any insights.
>-Barb Schaller

You can download the users manual and see exactly what it says about
it. I am lusting for a smooth top, but as long as this one works I
doubt I will be seeing one.
http://www.geappliances.com/service_...rt/literature/

I found this site when we moved in and there was no manual for the
stove.

--
Susan N.