Posted to rec.food.equipment
Melba's Jammin'[_1_] Melba's Jammin'[_1_] is offline

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
likely.

My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
you had a coil burner range?

Have you ever canned using one?

Anything you hate about it?

The good news is that I'm in no burning hurry for this replacement.

Thanks for any insights.
-Barb Schaller
--
-Barb