Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_1_] Brick[_1_] is offline

Default Why did my spare-ribs turn out tough?

On 26-Feb-2006, "Duwop" > wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On 26 Feb 2006 10:38:57 -0800, wrote:
> >
> > >I made a bunch of spare-ribs yesterday (10 pounds). I put a brown
> > >sugar/salt rub on them and smoked them in my weber. I put all the
> > >coals off to one side, with a drip pan under the other side, and put
> > >them all in a rib rack over the drip pan. Put soaked chips on the
> > >coals. and put the lid on. After an hour, the coals were still burning
> > >pretty good so I put more chips on and put the lid on for another hour
> > >or so. Took them off and ate. They were good I guess but really
> > >tough. Any ideas as to why this happened? Did I not cook them long
> > >enough? or too long maybe?
> > >
> > >I made ribs a few months ago and they were perfect. The only thing I
> > >can think I did different was I was only making one small rack that
> > >time.

> > Spare ribs are done when the ends of the ribs are exposed about > >
> > .75", or so. Spare ribs take 3.5-4 hours at 260-280. Your temp
> > was probably higher last time.
> >
> > -sw

> 260-280? I was getting some tough jerky strips on the top of the bone at
> temps that high on my cooker. Keeping it below 250 does the trick for me.
>
> YMMV I guess.
>
> --

I cook ribs between 250° and 300°F all the time and there's nothing wrong
with the ribs I cook. I'm going to start five racks this morning. Two beef
back ribs and three spares. My ribs typically take four hours, more or less.
They're done when they crack easily when bent sharply. They come out
tender enough to pull the meat off the bones with my fingers.

Beginners find it difficult to resist peeking frequently. Fight the urge.
Opening the cooker several times during a cook really "F@#$S" things up.
All guestimates of time and temp go right out the window. Surest way I
know to make dry tough 'Q'.

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)