Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Stan Marks Stan Marks is offline

Default Why did my spare-ribs turn out tough?

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Stan Marks wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Steve Calvin > wrote:

> >>Personally, I'da just left 'em on the Weber at 250 until
> >>tender instead of wrapping them in foil and doing them in an
> >>oven. And I won't even go into the "que'd vs steamed"
> >>debate. ;-D

> > Well, he did say that he cooked them yesterday, if you'll recall. I
> > figgered that the leftovers had been in the fridge overnight, and, in my
> > experience, putting cold, under-done meat back on a grill is an
> > invitation to further disaster. I'd rather trust an oven over a grill
> > when it comes to re-cooking something that wasn't quite done, yet. The
> > foil trick helps to conserve what moisture is left in the meat, too.
> > (What if he'd already slice 'em up? I've used this trick to save a
> > hunk of meat, on occasion, when I mis-judged the cooking time and ended
> > up with something underdone.
> >
> > Stan
> >

> Ah, nope. That post appearently was deleted off of the
> server before I got there. I "pieced" together things and
> must have missed that.
>
> I've not had that happen and had to deal with things the
> next day. Do you think that the oven would be preferable
> over bringing them to room temp and then back in the smoker?
>
> Although, I could see where that may have a tendancy to
> yield a dry result.

Exactly. Since Stephen seemed to be a bit inexperienced, the foil method
was the logical - and safer - choice, under the circumstances. It also
speeds up the cooking time a bit, if that might be a consideration.
Apparently, it worked out good for him.

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.