Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Stan Marks Stan Marks is offline

Default Why did my spare-ribs turn out tough?

In article . com>,
wrote:

> I made a bunch of spare-ribs yesterday (10 pounds). I put a brown
> sugar/salt rub on them and smoked them in my weber. I put all the
> coals off to one side, with a drip pan under the other side, and put
> them all in a rib rack over the drip pan. Put soaked chips on the
> coals. and put the lid on. After an hour, the coals were still burning
> pretty good so I put more chips on and put the lid on for another hour
> or so. Took them off and ate. They were good I guess but really
> tough. Any ideas as to why this happened? Did I not cook them long
> enough? or too long maybe?
>
> I made ribs a few months ago and they were perfect. The only thing I
> can think I did different was I was only making one small rack that
> time.

Spareribs typically need 5-6 hours at +/- 250 degrees to tenderize. Two
hours ain't nearly 'nuff!

If I were you, I would wrap those ribs up in some foil with a little
apple juice inside and put 'em in a 250-degree oven for a few hours to
finish cooking. Might not be the best way to cook ribs, but it'll beat
having to gnaw on 'em or throw 'em out!

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.