Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin Steve Calvin is offline

Default Storing ribs or whatever, how long in refrigerator

Zz Yzx wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I bought some packaged baby back ribs from Costco, the kind in the
> thick plastic wrapper (cryo-pack?). I meant to bbq them the next day
> but with the meteorite strike and the Nobel Peace Prize thing and all,
> I couldn't.
>
> So they sat in the refrigerator a few (4-5) days. I think I keep my
> fridge pretty cold, jduging by commesnts of freinds who come over and
> drink beer.
>
> Today, I opened the bag to cook 'em. I noticed a strong smell, much
> stronger than I'm used to. It wasn't a "bad" odor, just a porkish,
> meaty smell that was stronger than I'm used to. The ribs (three
> racks) looked fine, colorwise, &tc.
>
> How long will the experts in this group keep an unopened cryo-pack of
> ribs in the fridge? A pork shoulder? A brisket? A steak? A
> tenderloin?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

Never really tested it but if vacuum sealed I think a couple
weeks would be ok. Ya don't think that they sell them things
immediately, right? ;-)

I bought a Foodsaver and vacuum sealing is the only way to
go. If you keep things cold and air away from them their
shelf life increases dramatically.

The strong smell is normal, don't worry about it. Eat and
enjoy.

--
Steve

Old aunts used to poke me in the ribs at weddings cackling,
"you're next." They stopped after I started doing the same
to them at funerals.