Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Storing ribs or whatever, how long in refrigerator

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message

> Today, I opened the bag to cook 'em. I noticed a strong smell, much
> stronger than I'm used to. It wasn't a "bad" odor, just a porkish,
> meaty smell that was stronger than I'm used to. The ribs (three
> racks) looked fine, colorwise, &tc.
>
> How long will the experts in this group keep an unopened cryo-pack of
> ribs in the fridge? A pork shoulder? A brisket? A steak? A
> tenderloin?

The cryovac package will keep stuff fresh for a long time. I've kept
unfrozen for two weeks with no problem and I've seen dates stamped on
product even longer.

The heavy smell is normal. It is an oxygen free environment and when you
first open a package it has a strong odor. This is normal and it goes away
in a short time.