Posted to rec.food.cooking
Alan S[_2_] Alan S[_2_] is offline

Default Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?

"jay" > wrote in message
news

>> I have a real smoker and I have Oak and Pecan at the moment but haven't
>> been
>> able to get down to the other side of town lately to pick up any Hickory.
>> Does anyone know where I can pick up Alder, Cherry or Apple in Austin
>> (preferably north)?
>>
>> Thx Again,
>>
>> - A -

> Where did you fish? I have caught plenty Mackerel and Shark off Matagorda.
> Someone gave me the alder. Use the pecan. Mackerel is strong enough that
> most any smoke other than a 2x4's will work well. The fruit woods are
> milder and well suited to a milder flavored fish but on the Mackerel
> would be wasted..since they are realitively scarce in central Texas in any
> quantity. Post back your results.

We went down to Port Aransas on a deep sea fishing trip last weekend. Caught
277 pounds of fish between the four of us but that was largely do to my
brother landing a 130 pound Black Tip Shark. I have never eaten King
Mackerel. It seems that people either think that it's good or think that
it's not good. The recipes I have found all look good to me and some of them
describe King Mackerel as being very tasty, but from what I gather it's
something better prepared carefully as opposed to just being tossed on the
grill. I guess I will form an opinion of my own since I have a freezer full
of it. I was told smoked Mackerel is very good. Know of any amazing King
Mackerel recipes? What is a good brine to soak the Mackerel in before
smoking? I'll be sure to use the Pecan and not the landscape timbers for
this one.

- A -