Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Pat[_1_] Pat[_1_] is offline

Default Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately?

Ozzy wrote:

I was permanently
> disenchanted with the brand many years ago, when I first began to realize
> that L.'s simply *would not* make as drinkable a masala chai as Taj Mahal,
> regardless of the spices used nor the sweetnener nor the nature of the
> lightener.
>
> Ozzy

I have no doubt that you are correct. But let's face it, the Lipton
tea sold in America wasn't intended to be used as a base for masala
chai. There is a reason that Taj Mahal is stronger - because people in
India do use these teas for chai. Likewise, tea in England is blended
stronger because it needs to stand up to the addition of milk.

The United States is a very large and ethnically diverse country, as
everyone knows. So it stands to reason that anything that is
mass-marketed on a nationwide basis - like Lipton tea or Folgers coffee
or any popular brand of beer - is going to be rather
middle-of-the-road, not too strong, not too weak. Of course no product
is going to be to everybody's taste. I wish that the tea sold in
American supermarkets was more like what is sold in England. But I'm
grateful that even though this isn't the case, there are plenty of
other outlets out there where I can find something that is more to my
liking. Not necessarily better or worse, just more in line with my
personal preferences.