Doug Freyburger

Default Grain Sorghum/milo - whats it used for

Gregory Toomey wrote:

> Here in Australia we grown millions of tonnes of sorghum (otherwise known as
> milo) as a grain crop. But I cant recall it being listed as an ingredient
> in any recipe/commercial product.
>
> So does anybody have a recipe/know what its used for?

Sorghum is a very common fodder for livestock. That is its main use.

Sorghum is also used to make a syrup similar to molasses that is
popular in some areas of rural US. It is milder than molasses and
the closest equivalent to Lyles Golden Syrup I can think of.

Sorghum is the grain that looks rather like corn, but the leaves
come out staggered not in clusters, right? And no ears, the seeds
are at the top like grains other than corn.