Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

Default Least fishy tasting fish?

In article >, says...
> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Shark, fresh tuna, skate, marlin are all quite 'unfishy' or at least untypical
fish. Look for fish that is really really fresh - if it's smelly or looks dull,
leave it alone. You could try flounder or sole, fried with little cubes of
bacon - MUST be fresh to taste good, though.

Things to avoid, probably, are eel, mullet, mackerel, halibut ... in other
words oily fish - these are best smoked i.m.o. and not fried or boiled.

Salt water fish have it over fresh water fish. (don't get me wrong, I love
trout and salmon myself - but they can be very rich).

-P.