Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pylls, Barry

Default Rubbermaid lids get sticky

MoM wrote:
> I've never had a problem with tupperware and I have some
> very old stuff.
>
> In fact I bought a whole bunch of vintage tupperware from
> Damsel.
>
> I stick mine in the dishwasher. Never had a problem.

It is possible that if you wash the lids frequently, any
sweating from the plastic might not have time to accumulate
to noticable levels. However, I found from the web that sweating
plastic is associated with Polyvinyl choride, and the Rubbermaid
lids are LDPE (a form of ethylene). While I'm not saying that it
is the case, perhaps the LDPE sweats slowly, and frequent
washing prevents it from buildin gup to noticable levels. This
is a complete guess, and could be highly inaccurate. Just
thinking about possibilities.