Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby

Default Rubbermaid lids get sticky

"Pylls, Barry" > wrote in message
> Gabby wrote:
>> I've had some of my Tupperware for over 20 years and have not experienced
>> it
>> much. I've found though that it is usually the items kept in high
>> cupboards
>> & not used much. They don't get washed as often, for obvious reasons,
>> and
>> tend to accumulate whatever grease is in the air. My worst experience
>> with
>> the phenomenon was with Frig-o seal containers. Again, the baking soda
>> paste worked well.

> Yes, I too thought that it may just pick up grease in the air. The
> margarine
> tubs and tub lids do not do this, however, and neither does the body of
> the
> rubbermaid container. That's why I was being cautious about the
> possibility
> that the rubbermaid lid is simply secreting it. If this is true, then
> having
> seldomly cleaned lids on a top cupboard shelf would also allow it to
> accumulate.
>
> Thanks for the baking soda tip.

I don't think it's secretion but rather the different type of plastic which
seems to latch on to whatever is in the air. My very first experience with
the stickiness was with an old 'cake taker', an item that had a rubbery feel
to it, similar to that of the seals. That's how I discovered the baking
soda trick. The sticky film came right off the cake taker and left it
almost as good as new.

Gabby