Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

Default Splenda for Pickles?

The Joneses wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>>Brian Mailman wrote:

>>>Not to mention it's a bad idea to pickle when pickled.
>>>
>>>B/, a Maker's Mark guy himself (scotch tastes like INK)

>>Personally I always preferred George Dickel, 12 year old. Ain't nothing
>>like sour mash with a splash of branch water. Haven't had a drink since
>>1976 but I can still remember the taste. Ahh, yout. And that's
>>deliberate, a salute to Joe Pesci and "My Cousin Vinnie."
>>
>>George

> I liked that movie, the gal pal was a hoot. I don't drink so much - just a
> little for my health's sake Made a sweet whiskey sauce with butter & cream
> for the bread pudding this week - wish I hadn't. It's okay, just not fab. OB
> Preserving - that sweet sirup oughta last forever in the fridge. Probably don't
> even need to chill it!
> Had my flirt with the demon in the service and it runs in the family. We're
> pretty careful. Glad to hear you're doing better George.
> Edrena

Me too, two sodden brothers-in-law, two first cousins, a sister. The
first four are dead from alcohol, the sister is just pitiful. Never
drank much but when I did overdo, whooee. Never had a hangover, whuskey
can't give you a hangover when you throw up for a couple of hours. Gave
up overdoing alcohol when I got out of the Navy at 21 and never was much
of a social drinker although I made lots of wine in my lifetime. <VBG>

I do miss the occasional drink of Dickel that I used to have and could
probably get by with one once in awhile but, like cigarettes, I had
better not. I know very well that if I ever smoke one cigarette again I
will be up to 5 packs a day within a week. I was hooked on those things
for 40 years.

I didn't think you were a drunk Edrena, you wouldn't be able to type if
you were. <BSEG> Just kidding of course.
I prefer a rum sauce with my bread pudding. A local guy makes a bread
pudding to die for out of day old French bread but won't divulge the
recipe. I got one from another friend and I may try making it with
Splenda this weekend. That's after I get done blanching and freezing a
giant head of cauliflower the wife picked and do the same with the
second crop of broccoli, vac pack the canadian bacon and the huge hunk
of cheese I bought at Sam's Club the other day. And then I want to go
check the used meat bin at Kroger's as I'm low on pork and beef. A house
husband's work is never done.

And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
doing much better thank you.

George