Posted to rec.food.preserving
Wayne Boatwright

Default Splenda for Pickles?

On Fri 13 Jan 2006 01:09:23a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
Joneses?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
>> sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
>> methods? TIA
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> I've made a lot of pickles with Splenda, especially B&B. I don't use it
> measure for measure, usually only 1/2 or 3/4 of measure. And do decrease
> the salt by half. I'd add the Splenda to taste, then salt. That balance
> needs to be there to be right. Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has
> kicked in. Glad all the ironing's done, any mistakes there could be
> dangerous in this condition. Good luck and let us know how you go on.
> Edrena

Thanks, Edrena. That's good to know about the Splenda/salt taste balance.
I will follow that when I make them. I knew I would use less Splenda than
sugar. Splenda tastes very sweet to me.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.