Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dieter Zakas

Default Identify freezer burn?

In article , Nancy Young at
wrote on 1/10/06 12:09:

> "Karen MacInerney" > wrote
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Freezer burned poultry will look
>>> white, not pinkish.

>> Yup. And in desperate moments, I will admit to having sawed/scraped
>> the whitish parts off frozen chicken breasts (if it's limited damage)
>> and then cooked them anyway. I've attempted the same with
>> over-the-hill steaks, too -- thaw them partially, then start sawing.
>> Which worked, although it didn't make for a gorgeous dish. Not that
>> I'm usually cooking for the most discriminating of palates, anyway...
>>

> Freezer burn is *the* major reason I bought my Tilia. I guess
> I'm just fussy, but I don't eat freezer burned meat. Perhaps that
> sounds bad, but really, rather than eat it, I'll just have some
> vegetables for dinner and the meat goes in the trash.
>
> I don't throw out meat any more unless I take it out and don't
> use it within a reasonable time. Boy do I get annoyed when I
> do that, but no one to blame but myself.
>
> nancy

Speaking of freezer burn...

I know this is a bit OT, but I thought I'd share.

My sister once worked in a local lab, and one day, she and a coworker were
in the lab's freezer doing inventory. (Mind you, this is during the summer.)
When they emerged, her coworker noticed my sister got freezer burn on her
face.

Dieter Zakas
--
Good, better, best; never let it rest, until your good is better and your
better is best. (Billy Cox)