Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

Default Identify freezer burn?

In article >,
Chuck > wrote:

> With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
> meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
> crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
>
> With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?
>
> Thanks
> Chuck (in SC)

Frankly, Chuck, I'd be surprised to find freezer burn on store-packaged
meats.

Freezer burn is dry and white on the surface of the meat. Up here (MN),
I could tell you that it looks the way dried salt-spray melt-off looks
on a concrete garage floor. :-)

AFAIC, it there's not a lot of it, I just trim it off and proceed as
usual.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!