Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default Identify freezer burn?

Chuck wrote:
> With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
> meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
> crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
>
> With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?
>
> Thanks
> Chuck (in SC)

There will be an off colour as well as taste and texture. Beef that has
freezer burn will look greyish, not red. Freezer burned poultry will look
white, not pinkish. With fish it's hard to tell, especially if it's white
fish. I think it gets a little bit brownish where the edges are freezer
burned. I don't keep fish long enough to tell

The best way to avoid freezer burn is to package whatever it is well with as
little air in the packaging as possible.

Jill