Posted to rec.food.cooking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Identify freezer burn?

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
> meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
> crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
>
> With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?
>
> Thanks
> Chuck (in SC)

The meat will look dried out. It may or may not have ice crystals. Instead
of a nice red color, beef will be a brownish gray and look sort of sponge
like. It will affect the texture and have a bland taste.

What you need is a vacuum sealer. I use a Foodsaver and I've kept meat for 3
years with no adverse affects.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/