Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Default Julie and Julia: Favorite Julia Child Recipes?

Robert Lee wrote:
> This one roasts longer than 3 hours, but prep time is only a few minutes:
> The Smothered Brisket of Beef from The Way to Cook, page 249. I've made it
> many times. I leave out the onions and tomatoes and add a few extra cloves
> of garlic. It always come out succulent. You can thicken the meat juices
> any way you'd like. I usually make a dark roux, but sometimes I just use
> cornstarch. The leftovers make great sandwiches.

Robert,

LOL... Can you believe that's one of the dozen or so recipes I've
actually made? Although I didn't thicken the juices, and I think it
would have benefited from a jot of cornstarch. It was a bit too
tomatoe-y for me... I think I'll follow your advice and drop the
tomatoes. (I love fresh, but am not fond of cooked, tomatoes.)

I remember putting it in the oven, taking the kids to an IMAX movie,
and returning a few hours later to a house filled with a heavenly
smell...

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com