Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

Default Cayenne vs. Chili Arbol... any difference?

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:35:23 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
Pope) wrote:

>modom <somebody> wrote:
>
>>They look different as whole pods.

>Thanks
>
>>Most, if not all chiles are
>>members of the same species.

>According to Wikipedia, five common species. Cayenne and arbol
>are from C. frutescens, most other chilis and sweet peppers
>from C. annuum, and habaneros are C. chinense.
>
>Steve

You're right, I think. I misspoke. It was C. annuum I was thinking
about. And I knew that habs are C chinense. Somebody here told me
years ago that cross pollination between the two can produce fertile
offspring. Does this mean the species are not really that different?
(College biology class was a long time ago.)

modom