Posted to alt.food.asian
kalanamak

Default Korean "Pickle" selection

This is a cut and paste of an exchange on r.f.c. from years back. We had
some native Koreans weigh in and the whole catagory of "little dishes"
was banchan, and namul was a subset. If you google "korean side dishes"
and "korean little dishes" you can come up with a lot of info.

<begin paste>
I just checked this out with a Korean doc I know pretty well, and who
>loves to eat. He said that banchan in the entire class of little side
>dishes and that namul was 'vegetable', and could be a side dish, or not,
>but not beans. The banchan that are veggies are 'namul', but so is
>spinach in it's raw form.

and then Jay wrote:

:However, 'Namul' can be two different meaning. It
:can be all eatable wild greens and you can also say 'Namul' for seasoned
:and sometimes cooked greens as a side dish. For preparing, usually parboil
:greens first, some 'Namul' doesn't, and season with toasted sesame seed,
:sesame oil, minced garlic, chopped green onion and salt if green has :light
:color such as bean sprouts or soy sauce if green has dark color such as
:bracken.