Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen

Default cast iron cookie molds

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 02:53:46 GMT
"Cliff Hartle" > wrote:

> I have acquired two cast iron cookie molds.
>
> These molds are cast iron and I assume that the cookie is to be baked in
> the pan.
>
> What kind of cookie dough should I use in these molds?
> All the websites seem to point to molding the cookie in the mold and then
> popping it out on to a cookie sheet and then baking.

I'm starting to wonder if there's any historical record of people
seriously using molds to make a batch of cookies.

Unless they forced teams of peasants to do it for them or something.

My mother had some ceramic cookie molds, and, well, i'm convinced that
they were intended to be fashionable kitchen decorating accessories.

Oh you can get recipes and instructions for making cookies with them,
and we tried it, but the dough was difficult to remove from the molds, and
damaged more often than not in the process, and on the whole the experience
was unrewarding and was not repeated.

But since your molds are cast iron - are you sure they're cookie molds?
Cast iron molds for quickbreads and muffins (and skivers, etc) were quite
common at one time, and there's hardly a Griswold collector alive who
doesn't have the #273 Crispy Corn Stick pan. I've sure got mine.

Pretty sure I've seen a transcription of the recipe from the catalog
somewhere on the web . . .