Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Default Does pectin go bad?

Will Wagner wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
> some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
> Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
> I'm just curious.
>
> Will

The only problems I have ever noticed are with liquid pectin. It
becomes solid, rather than liquid, at some point. I don't know if it
would still work well if it were broken up so that it could be quickly
stirred in or not. Otherwise, the dates on pectin don't seem to have
made any difference in our jams or jellies in the Canning Kitchen.
Ellen