Posted to rec.food.baking
retzofrex

Default CONVERT RECIPE MEASUREMENTS : ENGLISH-METRIC, METRIC-ENGLISH

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:11:21 +0100, "jacqui{JB}"
> wrote:

>Now if someone could tell me if the 15ml versus 20ml per tablespoon is the
>only difference between US and pre-metric Australian measurements, I'd be
>thrilled.

The 4 teaspoon tablespoon of Australia was different, but it was NOT the
only difference...

The Australian gallon was the same as the Imperial Gallon, and not the
US gallon, which is much smaller. The Aussie pint was the imperial pint
and not the same as the US pint. The 10 ounces of the imperial pint are
each smaller than the US ounce, so that the 10 ounces are not 10/8 a US
pint, incidentally. 1 UK gallon is 1.20095 US gallon, and an imperial
gallon is equal to 9.6076 US pints, but only 8 imperial pints. An
imperial pint is not 1.25 times a US pint but rather is also 1.20095
times a US pint... and so it goes.

FWIW

RsH
Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!