Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Jeff Wisnia

Default mammoth meat

Walter Traprock wrote:

> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I can't speak about the eating of mammoth meat, but as I've long been
interested in carved ivory artworks I know about the active and thriving
industry involving the excavation of tons of mammoth tusks wach year,
which are sold as raw material to ivory carvers around the world.

I've heard recently that global warming has caused some of the ice
covering northern shorelines to melt further back, exposing more areas
where mammoth tusks can be dug up.

The ivory from mammoth tusks looks and carves almost identically to that
from elephant tusks, it takes the right lighting and a trained eye to
differentiate them by the different crossing angles of their "graining".

Anyone desirous of more info about this can visit the links on this page:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejwisnia18...ory_links.html

Out of deference to the world's dwindling elephant population I do my
best to avoid purchasing any newly made works carved from elephant ivory.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)