Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Default Do I need to refrigerate pies?

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

If to be consumed within the next day or two leave them out... just
cover loosely with a clean towel, to keep dust off but so condensate
doesn't accumulate and turn the crust soggy, so don't use an airtight
container or foil/plastic wrap... this applies to both pies, no
particular reason to refrigerate pumpkin pie unless you happen to
prefer eating it chilled, same with apple pie (I prefer fruit pies at
room temperature, and really don't like them served reheated, as some
pinheads are won't to do, greasy spoon style, 'cause the pie is stale.
But if you intend to consume these pies say 3-4 days later then I'd
refrigerate, but only after leaving out loosely covered to cool/dry for
24 hours. For longer storage, freeze. Once the pies are cut or
otherwise handled then I'd suggest refrigerating... probably not really
necessary but everyone "handles" differently... which is why I never
ever permit guests to help... how many have been a guest where everyone
helps and have watched the helpers lick their fingers then carry on,
and worse... they don't even realize, they're oblivious. I tend to be
very picky accepting invites to dinner... at some folks homes I'd not
accept a glass of water. People can be really disgusting concerning
food, unwittingly, but disgusting nevertheless.... yeah, I'll have a
beer... no glass, and *I'll* open it if you don't mind. And no, I
don't carry alcohol wipes, but the thought has crossed my mind.... and
yes, I have poured part of my 2ni into my napkin so I could wipe my
silverware, discretely of course.

I don't accept invites to eat at homes where preparing the food is a
family affair (I really don't want to see how Aunt Millie mashes the
potatoes or how Uncle Bill prepares the gravy... and especially not
where everyone brings a dish. And please don't ask me to help myself
to your refrigerator, I really, really don't want to look in there, not
if you expect me to partake... have any of you been to homes where
everyone is constantly rummaging through the fridge, the door may as
well be removed for how much it's actually closed, all the food is
warm, and no one washes their hands, not even after using the terlit...
and don't get me started on people's terlits... many a time after using
a terlit I became suddenly ill and had to leave.

Sheldon Pasteur