Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Default Do I need to refrigerate pies?

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
>

> --Lia

Julia, I don't refrigerate pies. I let them cool, cover with saran
wrap, then put them in the breadbox if there is room or set them on top
of the freezer. There are two reasons I don't refrigerate pies. First,
we usually use them the same day they are made or at most the next day.
Second, I'd be hard pressed to find room in the fridge for pies. To
answer your question regarding soggy crust. I made an apple strudel
using puff pastry, a more delicate pastry than regular pie pastry. I
put the remainder in the fridge and the pastry didn't get soggy.