Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

Default Internal Temperature of Brisket

"alan" > wrote in message
news
> Sheldon,
>
> Thanks. I ran down and opened the oven a bit and put it down to 275.
> It's dry roasted but, I put finey chopped garlic, onion soup, lots of
> ketchup and lots of onions on top, so that should help to keep it
> moist and I had aluminum foil on from the beginning.
>
> The internal temperature was up to 201 a minute ago, now it's 198.
> It's now three hours of cooking. So I think the patient will survive.
> Since I posted this thread, I checked out the web and I saw internal
> cooking temperatures from 140, which will be like a brick to 210. it's
> down to 197. I am surprised it's going down so fast. I wonder if
> it's picking up any of the temperature from the oven. The probe is in
> pretty far, just not all the way. Now it's 196
>
> Alan

Allan, we do our brisket on the smoker, but the same idea applies. Sheldon
is right; keep the temp at about 275 and cook until about 190 internal. Do
the fork test. When you twist a fork in the meat and it twists easily, it's
done. As always with meat like that, it's done when it's done. No time
frame there.

kili