Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

Default Walmart Vacuum Sealer Bags - "GlarZipLocVac'd.JPG" 57.8 KBytes

On 9-Nov-2005, "Stan (the Man)" > wrote:

> Brick wrote:

<snip>

> > For openers Stan, I have a FoodSaver, but it stays under the counter and comes
> > up only for vacuuming jars. My countertop vacuum machine is a Snorkel type
> > called "Sinbo VS280" from Sorbent Systems where I also purchase my 3 mil
> > single layer poly bags.

> I believe Sorbent used to sell channel bags that were compatible with
> the Tilia until Tilia went ballistic and stopped them.

The Tilia bags/rolls are apparently manufactured by Sorbent Systems. And yes
they used to sell them. Tilia holds the patent for their special channel bags and
apparently Sorbent didn't have a license to sell them.

> If you're using a FoodSaver knockoff, the bags I use
> > won't work on/in you machine.

> Mine is a Tilia. The 1050.
>
> Will your machine vac and seal a "Glad" ziplock?
> > Mine will. Check it out.

I sound like I'm trying to be a smartass, but the point is that snorkel
machines like the Sinbo VS280 don't require any special type of bag
other then it be heat sealable.

While common Ziplock bags can be evacuated and sealed with a
snorkel machine they are highly unreliable for maintaining a vacuum
over time. The multilayer Tilia bags/rolls are clearly superior in that
regard, but not enough to justify the cost IMO.

> I doubt it, but I'll give it a go.
>
> --
> Stan

Don't bother Stan. The Tilia design absolutely requires channel bags.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)