Posted to alt.food.asian
Alfonz Mephesto

Default vietnamese brown sauce

Darawen Littlestich wrote...
> hello!
> I have tried googling BUT, I don't even know the name of this sauce. It's a
> thick, sweetish, brown sauce, usually topped with chopped peanuts and served
> with vietnamese spring rolls. I asked the waiter "what is the name of this
> sauce?" and he replied, "we usually just call it brown sauce." It's
> definitely not just hoisin sauce but something less spicey and more
> caramelly....does anyone have a name for this sauce and a recipe--or how to
> find it on a google search? I've tried looking it up under "vietnamese
> food" but am having no luck.
> Thanks for all future help!

Yeah, I had that sauce a few weeks ago at a Vietnamese restaurant, with
spring rolls. I don't know what it's called, but I could tell it was
peanut-based with a hint of chocolate. I would prefer it as a dessert
sauce, while I love spicy Thai peanut sauce with meat, chocolate and
meat just don't go together in my mind.