Nancy Young

Default tasteless apples

"Doug Kanter" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> This is strictly a coincidence, I had nothing to do with the fact
>> that we wound up with Gala apples from Whole Foods earlier
>> this week. They were to go into the red cabbage recipe. In
>> making it I took a bite of the apple, so to speak ... it had a
>> very nice texture and flavor. Coming from me, that's a real
>> compliment, as I really don't care for apples. I would actually
>> go out of my way to eat one of those apples, they were that
>> good.
>>
>> So, either you got a really bad apple or I got a really good one.

> I'm curious: If you go to a supermarket - not a boutique food store, but
> a supermarket which targets walkin'-around slobs like everyone:
>
> 1) How many apple varieties are available *****NOW*****, not in July or
> January, but *****NOW*****, late October.

I don't really notice, but I'm pretty sure they are the same year
round ... macs, grannies, red delicious, maybe galas ... that's about
it. I'm a bad person to ask since we rarely buy apples. Other
stores nearby probably have a wider selection as they have larger
produce departments.

The supermarket I frequent is not known for its produce, that is
not to say it's typical.

Oh, I know I've seen romes on occasion. Nasty apple for
eating.

> 2) Where are those apples from, if you happen to know?

Don't know.

> 3) Where are you from? I don't mean your street address. I mean you state
> and/or province, and what country.

Central NJ, USA.

nancy