Melba's Jammin'

Default tasteless apples

In article > ,
"rmg" > wrote:

> I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
> useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
> inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
> add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> - rox

I don't know the purported characteristics of that variety (keeping
quality, good for eating, sauce, pie, baking, etc.) but whatever you
wind up doing with it, sweet spices could probably be involved
(cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, allspice, clove) -- not all at
once, though. I made a cherry-apple crisp that would make you weep.
I'm thinking you'll need a fruit with some strong character to prop up
your wimpy apple. Prolly not much help, but it's what I've got right
now. :-/
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.