Arri London

Default Looking for "Petit Pate de Pezenas" recipe

The foody wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>
> I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
> called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW France.
>
> I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with minced
> lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single recipe for them
> on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of references to the
> pastries, but no recipes)
>
> I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near Pezenas a
> few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.
>
> If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
> know.
>
> Kind regards,

Do you read French?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.huot-ma...recette963.htm

Otherwise (and I haven't made these):

500 g flour
250 g lard

Mix in a bowl with three pinches salt and enough cold water to make a
ball of dough. Wrap and leave in a cool place overnight.

400 g lamb
125 g kidney fat (suet)
2 untreated lemons
400 g unrefined sugar
nutmeg, cinnamon
1 egg yolk beaten
salt and white pepper

Mince the lamb and kidney fat together. Add the grated zest from the
lemons. Mix in the sugar in portions; add salt and pepper. Add grated
nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.

Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of 6 or 7 mm.
Use a glass or cup to cut pairs of rounds of 6 cm across. Spoon mounds
of filling on half the rounds. Cover carefully with the other half and
seal the edges. Brush with the egg yolk.

Bake at 210 C for about 30 minutes. Serve straight from the oven.