Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 10 Oct 2005 04:15:44p, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message >
>> Dora, did I read somewhere that Bird's was not going to make the
>> custard anymore?
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright *¨*

> What? The end of the British Empire?
> Seriously, the link below was interesting to me - I didn't know Premier
> Foods had acquired Bird's -- from Kraft!! I didn't even know Kraft had
> acquired Bird's. I can only assume the custard powder is still being
> made, since it has always been popular and such a timesaver. Don't
> know, though.

There was a thread about this in the UK group some time back. As I recall,
at that point in time nothing had been written about Bird's continuing to
be
produced. I think the acquisition had been announced but not the details.

> My own thoughts are that the OP is perhaps not cooking it quite long
> enough, or using the wrong milk grade. It also thickens as it cools
> slightly, so it's hard to tell what he's doing.

That would be my guess, too. Perhaps both. I remember my mom making a
cooked Jell-o pudding once using skim milk. It was dreadful, and also thin
consistency. If something calls for whole milk, there's usually a reason.
:-)

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*