Adam Preble

Default Dissolving bentonite

I've been experimenting with using bentonite to clarify. I've been
trying to add it with the must before pitching the yeast. Adding it as
it's packaged causes it just to settle to the bottom right away, so I've
been dissolving it. I will take, say, half a liter of must and mix with
the bentonite in a 1 liter bottle. I'll shake it until I can't see any
solids, and nothing quickly settles out between shakes. This will then
get mixed into the must at large. The problem is it settles out within
hours.

I've tried various quantities, from 3 teaspoons for a 6 gallon batch to
3 tablespoons for a 6 gallon batch, and I've run into this every time.
Is that just the lay of the land? I figured the bentonite would settle
with the yeast quiet down. I can't imagine it clarifying appropriately
in primary fermentation.

It could also be possible the tip I got for adding it in primary
fermentation is crock, and that I should do it in secondary, or at the
end of primary. Am I using it at the wrong time?

Granted, I shouldn't need bentonite if I age long enough, but I don't
think I'll be aging appropriately until I have a few closets full of
wine bottles. Until then, I need faster gratification.