zxcvbob

Bunny McElwee wrote:
> I would like to make some juice for Apple Jelly. I've tried in t he
> past, with both regular apples as well as a bottled apple juice. Both turned
> out like syrup, not jelly, both used Sure Jell, followed the directions, to
> no avail. What are the best type of apples to use for jelly? Most recipes
> say xx number of pounds of apples, but they don't say what kind. Some say
> sour apples, but do they mean Granny Smith? My grandmothers apple jelly was
> always a pinkish/red color, and that would be untrue of a granny smith. She
> also says she's always made her jelly from the skins of red apples, hence
> the pinkish/red jelly, but can't remember what kind. Can anyone lead me in
> the right direction? I understand Red Delicious is not an acceptable choice
> since it is not "sour" enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Are there any crabapple trees in your area? They should be covered with
fruit right now; I'm planning to pick some over at the water dept. this
weekend if nobody beats me to 'em. I still have too much crabapple
jelly leftover from last year, so I may use them to flavor and color
some mead (it's called cyser when you add apple juice to the honey.)
Use all crabapples or a mixture of crabapple juice and regular apple juice.

[snipped the part about grapes]

I don't know much about making grape jelly, but
(1) you might have better luck with making jam
(2) try finding some wild grapes. It's too bad you can't get Concords,
but what about Muscadines or sour "mustang" grapes?

Best regards,
Bob