modom

On 19 Sep 2005 02:10:26 -0700, "marionc"
> wrote:

>Hi higgins
>
>I have a bit of an unfair advantage here as I have never even heard of
>gumbo, could someone please explain this to me.
>
>Marion Connor

Gumbo is a soup. Like the QEII is a boat.

Gumbo is made from the Cajun holy trinity -- celery, onion, & bell
pepper -- which is diced and sweated in oil till it's transluscent.
Then garlic, salt, pepper, herbs (like bay leaves, for example), and
maybe hot peppers are added. Then comes the stock. Then other good
stuff is added, according to what is available. Good stuff might
include (in no particular order) chicken, shrimp, lump crab meat,
andouille sausage, turkey meat, or what have you. Odoms also add a
dark roux, though others sometimes don't. Gumbo is thickened with
sliced okra or file (powdered, dried sassafras leaves) It is
customarily served in a bowl over a mound of cooked rice.

Odoms eat gumbo on Christmas Eve. They also eat it other times. So
do many others.

modom