jeff

Default A gallon of "sugar wine"

How much sugar would one use to make a gallon (3.8 litres) of water
with a S.G. of about 1.090 (P.A. of about 12%)?

Yesterday someone gave me about 7 pounds of some tiny pruple grapes.
(They're about the size of smallish blueberries. If anyone has a guess
as to what they are, I'd be interested. They were grown here on the
west coast, near Vancouver BC.) I squeezed them and got a little more
than half a gallon of juice, and added about 3 cups of sugar, and
water. (I'm not planning to ferment on the skins. The must is quite
red.) The S.G. is about 1.100. The must is obviously sweet, but
there's something not right about it ... I'm not sure if it's sour or
bitter. It sort of sets the teeth on edge.

So my plan is to lessen the influence of this not-great grape flavour
on the wine by diluting it into 2 gallons. Three-and-a-half pounds of
fruit per gallon seems to me acceptable for a country wine. So how
much sugar would I use to make a gallon of "sugar wine"? Or, if anyone
thinks this is a bad idea, I'd be happy to hear of alternative
suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeff Hay-Roe
Sechelt, B.C.